What New Bern Has To Offer You, Page 8
Click on an image below for more detail.
6 New Bern, North Carolina
[Image of Water Front, New Bern, N.C.]
New Bern, North Carolina,
Seat of Craven County, is situated in a triangle formed by the junction of the Neuse and Trent rivers, thirty miles southwest of Pamlico Sound.
It is the second oldest permanent settlement in North Carolina, having been founded by Christopher de Graffenried, who landed his colony at the confluence of the Neuse and Trent rivers in 1710 and called the place New Bern, in honor of his native town, Bern in Switzerland.
The handsome banner with which the cover page of this booklet is embellished, is the coat of arms of Bern, Switzerland, and was presented to the city of New Bern, N.C., by that city in ---- at which time it was adopted as the colors of New Bern. The banner is a most exquisite piece of hand embroidery, the fringe being pure gold. Expert judges of the class of work, estimate the original cost of the banner to be not less than fourteen hundred dollars.
The city is rich in historic lore, having been the residence of some of the Royal Governors, notably among them, Johnson, Dobbs, Tryon and Martin.
Images scanned by John B. Green, III. Text prepared by
John B. Green, III and Victor T. Jones, Jr.
This page last edited on August 19, 2009.