New Bern, House Occupied by a part of
Co. D, 44th Massachusetts
Click on image above for a more detailed image
Title: New Bern, House occupied by a part of Co. D, 44th Massachusetts.
Creator: Reed, William Garrison
Subject: New Bern (N.C.)
Pollock Street (New Bern, N.C.)
Streets--North Carolina--New Bern--Pollock Street
Description: Reed described this house as one of the two houses on Pollock Street occupied by Company D in May 1863. He further stated that this house "was the cook-house, and is typical of all house-servants' quarters in the South. When occupied by soldiers it was kept clean, and whitewash was freely used. Its filthy condition in 1884 caused the 'Expedition' to wonder how Northern-bred white men could ever have been comfortable there. The lot back of the house is now enclosed by a high board fence, and there is a pigsty in one corner. Army regulations are no longer observed on those premises."
Date: October 1884
Format: 7-13/16x6 inches (199x150 mm)
Source: Donated by William Garrison Reed, 1926.
Relation: One image from a collection of 48 images in a photo album.
Coverage: New Bern (N.C.)
Rights: Permission to use this photograph must be obtained from the New Bern-Craven County Public Library, 400 Johnson Street, New Bern, NC 28560. Must cite as: William Garrison Reed Photo Album, New Bern-Craven County Public Library.
Return to "North Carolina Revisited" by William Garrison Reed
Images scanned and text prepared by Victor T. Jones, Jr.
This page last edited on 19 Aug 09.