Craven County Digital History Exhibit

NC 1780 $250

Accession Number TP.1986.037.002

Title

North Carolina paper currency, Bill of Credit value two hundred and fifty dollars

 

Maker

James Davis, printer

 

Material

Type on laid paper, ink

 

Origin

North Carolina, New Bern

 

Date:

1780

 

Dimensions:

OH: 2 9/16” (6.5 cm); OW:  3 ¼” (8.3 cm)

 

Description:

Typeset two-hundred and fifty-dollar Bill of Credit issued by North Carolina with borders all around; border on top printed “north carolina currency”, on left side “Death to Counterfeit”, on right side” 250 Dollars.” Printed Text: “ Two Hundred and Fifty/ DOLLARS.  No 10161/ STATE of NORTH CAROLINA./ THIS Bill intitles [sic] the Bearer to receive two/ hundred & fifty Spanish milled Dollars, or the/ Value thereof in Gold or Silver, agreeable to an/ Act of Assembly passed at Newbern the 10 th/ Day of May, 1780.” Motto in lower left corner: “Querenda Pecunia/ primum est.” (Money has to be sought first). Ink signature: “Joseph Leech”.  Reverse: “CCL Dollars/ Printed by James Davis/ 1780.”

 

Donor:

Paul M. Cox

 

Relation:

 

 

Comments:

 £1,240,000 ($3,100,000) in legal tender Bills of Credit authorized by the May 10, 1780 Act giving the Governor the right to issue more bill. The Governor apparently added to the issue of $25, $100 and $500 bill and created new denominations of $200, $400 and $600. Bills were printed on both sides. This denomination was issued in two series of 1,000 each. Signers included: John Ashe, Waightsill Avery, Jonathan Cooke, J.W. Caron, James Coor, David Cox, Jr., M. Frank, James Green, Jr., Is. Guion, Joseph Leech, and H. Vipon. Bill laminated in rice paper prior to donation. Currently on display at the New Bern Academy Museum.

 

Language:

En

 

Rights:

Permission to use the photograph must be obtained in writing from Tryon Palace Historic Sites & Gardens, New Bern, North Carolina. It must be accompanied by the caption” From the collection of Tryon Palace Historic Sites & Gardens, New Bern, North Carolina; North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, Division of Archive and History.”

 
 

Images scanned by Dean Knight
Text prepared by Nancy Richards and Victor T. Jones, Jr.

Last edited: November 20, 2014

Hit Counter