The New Bern-Craven County Public Library Board of Trustees seeks volunteers to fill a vacancy for an unexpired term ending December 2018, to be appointed by Craven County Board of Commissioners.
Interested applicants should contact the Librarian, Cassandra Hunsucker, via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone at 252-638-7800. Please indicate:
- What experience would you bring to the Board of Trustees?
- How would you advocate for the library beyond attending meetings of the Trustees?
- How do you use the library?
The duties of the Trustees, as set forth in the By-Laws of the New Bern Craven County Public Library are:
- To carry out conscientiously the powers given them;
- To determine policy of the library;
- To advise in the preparation of the budget; approve it and work to obtain the necessary funds;
- To provide and maintain adequate buildings and grounds;
- To study and support legislation which will bring about the greatest good to the greatest number of libraries;
- To cooperate with other public officials and boards; and
- To maintain vital public relations.
The ten members of the Library Board are appointed either by the City of New Bern or by Craven County. A City Alderman and a County Commissioner also serve on the Library Board. The regular term of a trustee lasts 6 years.
Board Meetings are held at 5:30 p.m. on the First Tuesday of February, April, June, August, October and December in the William H. Sherratt Conference Room at the New Bern-Craven County Public Library. Special meetings may be called by the Chairman of the Board, or upon written request by three members.
New Bern-Craven County Board of Trustees
Carter Ann Rollins, Chairman
Scott Dacey, County Commissioner
Victor Taylor, New Bern Alderman